Friday, June 13, 2014

Book Review: Tiger's Promise

Tiger's Promise
by  Colleen Houck
Date Read: 6/13/14
Rating: ★ ★ ★


This short novella was a nice addition to the Tiger’s Curse series.  Of course we all knew how it was going to end, but it was very interesting to see the story for Yesubai’s POV. 

I felt that the relationship between she and Kishan was a little insta-lovey in this book though.  He wasn’t in it enough with her for me to really believe they didn’t fall in love based on looks.  But the relationship with his mom, Deschen was done very well.

Speaking of Deschen. I loved that we finally got to meet her.  We have only heard stories about the type of woman she was, so I loved really getting to see her in action.

Ren was barely in this book – and even when he was, he barely actually spoke.  But this story isn’t really about Ren. It is about Yesubai and Kishan and how they were tricked in to betraying Ren.  But Ren is my favorite character, so I was a bit disappointed he wasn’t in it more.  But that’s okay.

I felt like Yesubai could have been a bit stronger of a character.  She always tried to hide from her abusive father, Lokesh. I know he had powers, which made it hard to stand up against him, but come on. Even when he wanted her to kill the brothers, she went right along and let him walk them in to a trap. What the heck?? After all that family did for her? I was glad when she did finally stand up to him – or at least fight for what she loved, even though it ultimately ended in her demise.

I thought the ending was done beautifully. Though I was prepared for the ending, that last paragraph took my breath away.  I can only imagine. It was heartbreakingly beautiful.

We also got a couple of bonus chapters: one from Yuvakshi’s POV (Yesubai’s mom) and one from Ren’s POV.  While short, they were a neat little addition to the story.

 But what had me so excited to finally finish this novella???  The sneak peak at Tiger’s Dream!!  We are treated with what I assume is a snippet of the Prologue and not the entire thing – prologues are usually longer than 5 pages…  but if you’ve been dying to know what Tiger’s Dream is going to be about, this is a teaser.  Do not read on if you do not want to know what happens in the Sneak Peak!

I was a little confused – it hasn’t cleared up a whole lot. However, the Prologue was from Kishan’s POV – so perhaps the entire story will be from his POV?  I did like seeing the dynamic between Kishan and Anamika, but the sneak peak didn’t do much to curb my curiosity about what our final book will eventually be about.  But I’m hoping she will decide whether she’s just going to self-pub it soon.

3 comments:

Inge said...

Hi Kristen! Just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a Liebster award!
http://bookshelfreflections.com/2014/06/inge-the-liebster-blog-award/

Kristen said...

Omg, thanks Inge! I just read over yours! It was great. I will have work on mine this weekend - that's definitely going to take some time!!

Inge said...

Hahaha yeah, it was a lot of work, but it was fun to do!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...