Monday, June 16, 2014

Book Review: The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

The Reptile Room (#2)
by Lemony Snicket
Date Read: 6/15/14
Rating: ★ ★ ★


I think I actually liked this book.  While it was still sad and had more death and violence in it, I like that the kids are the ones who find their way out of their current predicament.  It shows kids how to problem solve and to never give up.

I also liked in this book all the teachings that were in there.  For instance when the author explains certain feelings like losing someone you care about – and he compares it to walking up the stairs in the dark and believing there was one more step that wasn’t there.  Or in this book the lesson on dramatic irony – he explains it at the beginning of the book, and then when the irony actually happens, he brings it full circle so that kids can really understand and connect the two scenes.

I only found myself laughing once when it was suggested that a snake opened a cage, killed someone, and then locked itself back in a cage.  Otherwise, again, these books are actually not funny at all. But they are somehow intriguing. I find that instead of wondering what will happen to the kids, I’m more looking forward to what he plans to teach the readers in the next book.

I do find myself wondering if this is going to be like Harry Potter, and they will end up living with someone else in every single book – and like most kids stories (for some reason I think of Inspector Gadget…I’m not sure why), the bad guy always gets away at the end, to wreak more havoc in the next book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...