Sunday, June 8, 2014

Book Review: City of Heavenly Fire

City of Heavenly Fire
by  Cassandra Clare
Date Read:  6/8/14
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★


One thing I will give to Cassandra Clare is that she wraps up each of her series with a tight little bow.  I feel that was a pretty good ending to this series.  Now, do I still believe it should have ended with 3 books?  Sure.  Books 4 and 5 were definitely not my favorite.  But she did bring it all back in the final installment.

This book was incredibly long at 725 pages - granted, there was a 45 page epilogue.  But for most of the book I was entertained. I didn't find myself bored at any points, having to push my way through it.  However, one thing I didn't like, was that were about 18 different points of view.  She was able to allow the reader to know more about what was going on in the world, but I would have rather not known everything that was happening and had more "Ah ha!" moments.

The specific thing that has made me rate this book 4 stars instead of 5 is the betrayal.  In the summary on the dust jacket it stated that the biggest betrayal the Nephilim have ever seen, happens in this book and forces the gang to head to the demon world.  I think I know what this was - but it didn't feel like a big betrayal for a coupe of reasons - 1) As the reader, I knew about it much earlier than the characters. I don't think she should have had that scene towards the beginning of the book. I would have much rather discovered it when the characters discovered it.  2) It was more a betrayal to the world, rather than just the Nephilim.  And... <spoiler> if anyone was going to betray the Accords, it would have definitely been the Faerie people and the Seelie Queen.  She was terrible, only had her own agenda, and didn't like the Nephilim.  It was definitely not a shock that they would betray everyone. </spoiler>

I hated the weird obsession that Sebastian had with Clary.  What is it with Clare and incest?  Once is enough!  I would have believed more if he just wanted Clary near him, to support him, and be like a real family.  Rather than want her to kiss him and love him more romantically.  It was just weird and I didn't like it.  But if you removed that, I liked Sebastian's story, and I liked how it ended.

Not nearly as many people died in this book as I was expecting.  Most of our characters get a happy ending.  I loved all the references to Tessa, Will and Jem.  One of my favorite parts was when Clary talked with Tessa.  It was so neat - and I'm so glad she added it. 

Simon always has the most interesting things happen to him.  I absolutely loved him ending. He's such a stand up guy, and a true hero in the meaning.  I'm glad Clare gave us that epilogue so we knew how it ended for Simon.  Everything was bittersweet and I loved it.  I heard that Clare announced a super secret project she was writing about Simon. Now I know why. And I expect it will probably happen between the events of this book and the next series.

A lot of new characters were introduced in this book.  We already had a TON of characters. We had 5 core characters. Then like another 5 characters that you really care about. And then a bunch of other people who come in and out. And she added so may more! I know she was setting up the characters for her new series, which will happen a few years after the events of the Mortal Instruments. But for Emma to have a POV in this book? That threw. I think I would have rather them just be side characters in this book, rather than focused on.  But the only loose end she didn't tie up perfectly, was what I assume is setting up the plot of the next series.

While I have absolutely loved The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, I think Clare is going to beat her world to death.  I guess she thinks she has something successful, and why mess with success?  But she's not the best writer, and eventually people are going to get bored with it.  I would rather like to if she is able to write anything else successfully.  Its not like she's not already a millionaire anyway.  And now she has her two main series, a Magnus series, a sequel series, and I believe another series is planned.   UGH. 

If you have read and loved the Mortal Instruments, you should definitely finish the series with reading this book (especially if you've read books 4 and 5..bleh). I was a nice tidy ending to a good series. I really do love the world that Clare has created.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...