Monday, April 28, 2014

Book Review: The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
by  Vicki Iovine
Date Read: 4/27/14
Rating: ★ ★ ★


This book was helpful and enjoyable enough.  I’ll probably recommend it to first time pregnant women.  Do I feel like I got a lot of extra information? Not really.  Did it cover all the bases?  Yes.

In this day and age, there is so much information out there for women to read about their pregnancy.  For instance, I receive weekly email updates from TheBump and BabyCenter.  I’m also signed up for the apps for both plus a few more and receive notifications and check lists from them.  So do I really need this book now to tell me the same information?  Not really.

But what I did like about this book is that she did a lot of research among many women.  So I feel like there were a lot of perspectives included in this. And she made sure to list everything you might or might not experience, and gave examples of women who experienced it both ways.  This helps you feel like whatever is happening to you is normal.  For instance, I rarely had morning sickness.  If I was able to keep snacking off and on throughout the day, I would be just fine. But once I got super hungry, I would start feeling nauseous.  I didn’t experience the doubled over, vomiting that many women experience.  But just because I didn’t have the morning sickness, didn’t necessarily mean there was something wrong with my pregnancy.  God just gave me a breather for what I’d previously experienced I guess (miscarriage in my first pregnancy).

The first ¾ of the book though I didn’t feel like I got a whole lot of information I wasn’t already getting from these other places I mentioned above.  It also wasn’t as funny as I thought it was going to be.  But there were some times where I laughed out loud.  But the last ¼ of the book I felt like I was actually given some advice – mostly about labor and delivery and the aftermath.  However, I have to think that perhaps I felt that because I have not made it that far in to the pregnancy for these other places to give me that information.  I expect I’ll see a lot of it as I get nearer and nearer to 40 weeks.  And other women won’t tell you this information, because who would ever get pregnant knowing this stuff ahead of time?!  I already knew it was going to hurt, but I had no idea how much the recovery was going to be!  Eeek.  So I did really appreciate the information toward the end of the book.

So I recommend going ahead and reading this book if you are a first time pregnant woman.  If you’ve already been through the whole ordeal, this book will most likely not give you any new information, and it’s not entertaining enough to read just for fun. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...