Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Book Review: The Selection Stories


The Selection Stories (The Prince & The Guard)
by  Kiera Cass
Date Read: 3/26/14
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★



I enjoyed this addition to the Selection series.  It was nice to get some background info on both the boys.  It also had quite a  bit of extra content at the end of the book as well.


The Prince:
I had already read this book in its ebook  format.  But I skimmed through it again as a refresher.  I like seeing the world through Maxon’s eyes.  I really liked that it actually started before the Selection and we could see his anxiety about it, his preparations.  It was very interesting.  We got to see more of his relationship with his mother and father as well.  The King is cruel, but the Queen loves her son and tries to look out for him.  The best part was seeing scenes from Maxon’s POV that we saw in The Selection.  Specifically the scene where she knees him because she thought he was going to try to seduce her.  Haha!  His reaction was priceless.  It’s such a sweet touch to the story we already enjoy.

The Guard:
It’s no secret that I am on Team Maxon.  With that said, I wasn’t sure how I was going to like The Guard, since it is from Aspen’s POV.  But I actually ended up really liking it.  This story actually starts in the Elite, when Aspen becomes a guard.  We watch as he has to deal with being around America and watching her spend time with another man.  Even though I’m rooting for Maxon, it was still hard to imagine being in love with someone and watching them swoon over someone else.  The insider info on the rebel attacks was very interesting.  We were able to see things happening at the palace that we didn’t know before.  It made me like Aspen more, but it didn’t take my desire for America to end up with Maxon away.

The One (sneak peek):
I loved that we got to see the first 3 chapters of The One!!  It was hilarious.  America’s actions trying to win Maxon’s affections back made me laugh so hard!  There was a little bit of recap mentioned in it, which I appreciated because I didn’t quite remember everything that had happened.  But I love that Maxon seems to really care about America.  This sneak peek has me very excited for the book to come out.  I hope she doesn’t ruin the series like Veronica Roth did with the Divergent series!

Extras:
There are quite a few extras we also get with this book.
  1. There is a short Q&A with Kiera Cass.  I skimmed over these looking for questions or answers I actually cared about.  I always enjoy hearing how stories comes together for authors though.  I think I especially appreciate them now that my husband is an aspiring author.  And every story is different!
  2. There’s a list of the Selected girls, where they are from, and their caste number.
  3. There’s a list of jobs that would be related to each caste, just to help us classify ourselves if we lived in that world.
  4. America’s Family tree – there is a history added also which is very interesting to read.
  5. Aspen’s Family tree – also a history is included, but it wasn’t as interesting to me.
  6. Maxon’s Family tree – very interesting history added here.  I especially enjoyed this piece of extra that we received.  Gave me more insight in to King Clarkson and Queen Amberly.
  7. The Selection official playlist
  8. The Elite official playlist

If you have read and enjoy the Selection Series, you should definitely pick up this book before The One is released.  It’s a good read as a refresher and to give you a little extra insight in to many of the characters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...