Friday, February 5, 2016

Book Review: These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars
by  Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner
Date Read:  2/5/16
Rating: ★ ★ 
★ ★  ★ 

“For a moment the image before us is frozen: our world, our lives, reduced to a handful of broken stars half lost in uncharted space”.

I find that sci-fi novels are generally not my cup of tea.  However, These Broken Stars blew me away!  This is a young adult sci-fi adventure, focusing on survival. The cover initially drew me in, the summary blurb sounded interesting, and once I read my friends reviews on goodreads, I knew I needed to try it out. 

I was hooked within two pages. I fell in love with Tarver at the very beginning and I couldn’t wait to see how his story played out. Lilac took a little more time to warm up to. Once they were on the planet and she started letting go of her past and expectations, I really started getting attached to her.

The book moved really quickly. I was surprised how early the crash actually happened. The description of the two watching the Icarus fall out of the sky was beautiful and horrifying.  This is more of a survival tale with sci-fi woven in.  I have discovered that I really enjoy survival stories – seeing the skills, ingenuity and strength people go through to survive is amazing.

Tarver and Lilac have a rough time getting along at first.  They both have preconceptions and stereotypes they are dealing with. They are also both going through a little PTSD after having crashed landed on a planet, and being the only survivors. Lilac has lost her cousin and her friends, and that is very hard on her.

While they are stranded together for most of the novel, it never got boring and you watched as their relationship transformed from dislike, to friendship, to love. It did not feel rushed and I found myself begging for their first kiss as much as they were.

I was happy to figure out the mystery of the planet along with the characters. It never felt like the characters knew more than I did. Everything was revealed in a decent pace and I was aching to know the whole truth.  As they unravel the horrifying truth surrounding the planet and what caused the Icarus to crash, I felt the same emotions as them.

Most of the loose ends were tied up, though pretty close to the end of the novel. While the ending was satisfying, I wish there was a little more wrap up to the story. I was blown away by the last scene in the book, though I probably should have expected it. I am looking forward to reading more books in this series. It is an interesting concept to have the same bad guy but with different characters. I’m interested to see if they can pull off another stunning story with wonderful new characters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...