Sunday, April 7, 2013

Book Review: The Last Academy



The Last Academy
by  Anne Applegate
Date Read:  4/7/2013

Rating:  ★ ★ ★  

I received this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I surprisingly LOVED this book. It first started with the cover. It's hauntingly beautiful. And then I read the description and I was very excited when I got approved for it through Netgalley. However, I was disappointed that the version they sent me didn't have the awesome cover!

Ok, well, it is hard for me to review this book because I enjoyed it so much. I was so engrossed in the story, it's hard for me to pinpoint what I loved so much. It just all worked really well.

It's also hard for me to write up a summary of this story without plot spoilers. Basically, it is about Camden, a freshman heading off to a new boarding school. She makes some new friends there and then one goes missing. She has to find out what happened.

First, I really enjoyed the main character, Camden. Though she was younger than I thought (at 14 years old and a freshman), her voice was a lot of fun. She was sweet, but didn't take crap, and she had a little sarcasm and said some pretty funny things.

The book was a little bit slow at the beginning. It took a little while to establish some things. But about 25% in it started picking up. I was always a little confused one what was going on though. There were some scenes that seemed a little strange, but it all came together in the end.

I liked trying to solve the mystery of what was going on. It's very different than the types of books that are really popular lately. No paranormal stuff - no vampires, werewolves, witches, etc. It kept me guessing what was really going on.

Though I had a suspicion toward the beginning of the book, it did a great job of keeping me guessing until the end. I think that's what I really enjoyed.

But I absolutely appreciated that this book had a beginning, middle, and end. I am pretty sure this will be a stand alone book, which is actually kind of refreshing lately. Everything nowadays seems to be a series. It's refreshing to have a story that can be told in one book. And this book had so much closure at the end. I actually teared up at the very end and I loved that we got everyone's story.

I really loved this book. I wish I could say more, but it's hard for me to put my finger on just what I loved. I think everything worked together to tell a great story. I think this is a great debut novel by Anne Appelgate - and I look forward to reading more novels from her in the future. 

4 comments:

Carole said...

Hi, I just noticed this review and wondered if you would like to link it in to the new monthly collection of books that people loved on Carole's Chatter. This is the link There are already quite a few books linked in that you might be interested in. It would be great if you came on over. Cheers

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing! I just posted me link there. I will definitely have to check out some of the other books! That will be a great resource. Thanks!

Carole said...

Kristen, thanks for linking up to Books You Loved. I do hope to see you again soon. I have signed up to follow your blog and hope you will follow Carole's Chatter too. Cheers

Elizabeth said...

Nice review....thanks.

Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved April Edition. I am in the list as #21.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Entry

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...