Friday, August 7, 2015

Book Review: Hatter M: Far From Wonder #1

Hatter M: Far from Wonder #1
by  Frank Beddor, Liz CavalierBen Templesmith(Illustrator)Sami Makkonen (Illustrator)
Date Read:  8/2/15
Rating: ★ ★ 


I read “The Looking Glass Wars” a while back and remember liking the story. So when my husband picked up this graphic novel, not knowing it was related to The Looking Glass Wars, I had to make sure I read it too before returning it to the library.

This book is in the time period between when he loses Alyss when the escape Wonderland – it is Hatter’s search for Alyss. It’s fun because he goes to so many different places searching for her, and interrogates random people he think are from Wonderland. I really enjoyed the little tid bits when some of those random people end up being famous authors. I thought that was a nice touch.

I did not like the art style at all.  It was actually difficult for me to tell what was going on in some of the frames.  Actually, at the end of the book there was a bunch of random stuff, including original sketches and final colored sketches of characters and scenes, and I was actually able to see more of what was going on in the rough original sketches!  I’m not sure why they decided to go with the style they did – maybe they thought it was more whimsical, good for the Wonderland aspect. But I didn’t care for it at all.

I did like the story about the orphan girl he follows though and some of new characters that were introduced. The story itself wasn’t bad.  At times it was still a little difficult to understand what was going on.  Sometimes 5 pages later I’d finally figure out what happened 5 pages prior.

I think I’ll continue the series though because it was interesting enough. And in the very least it got me interested in that world again, so I plan to pick up the sequels in The Looking Glass Wars series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...